DIY Planked Gray Chalkboard
Chalkboards are nothing new. I’m still a fan, but I realize that DIY chalkboards have been around for quite some time… but this one I made recently has two fun characteristics: it’s planked. And it’s not black.
This adorable gray chalkboard (has anyone noticed my gray obsession?!?!) is perfect for a little encouraging message for your loved ones. Or yourself. 😉 It would also be perfect for menu planning or other lists. With a little scrap wood and some Country Chic Paint, you can create this adorable planked chalkboard in almost any color you want!
I could have used a flat scrap piece, but I thought the planks would be a fun element. Plus, they help the artistically challenged like me as they add lines to help me write straight. 😉
Want to make your own? Here’s how:
- Cut a piece of planking (I used leftover cedar from my whitewashed attic renovation) into three equal pieces, and cut any kind of scraps (I used a 1×2 I found in our shed) into two strips, each a little shorter than the height of the three planks stacked (see image below).
- Sand the front surface smooth if necessary, and add glue on the “tongue” part of the planking (regular 1×4’s would work for this, too, and in that case you would simply glue in between the boards).
- Drill pilot holes through your 1×2 braces and into each plank (be careful not to drill all the way through the front of your planks!).
- Screw one screw into each pilot hole (there should be 6 total).
- Paint with 3 thin coats of any color of Country Chic Paint (I used Cobble Stone).
- Season with chalk (which is a fancy way of saying rub chalk all over the whole thing and then wipe it off).
I love that I can have a chalkboard that’s not just black (did you know that all Country Chic Paint can function as a chalkboard surface if you don’t use a top coat?!), and the planks add just a bit of dimension to the piece.
Chalk art may not be my strongest suit, but I do like having a little piece that I can use to inspire myself and my family… What would you do with yours?
Disclosure: As a member of the Country Chic Paint Blogger Squad, I have received compensation in the form of product, but, as always, opinions and poor handwriting are entirely mine!
MORE DIY DECOR:
That is so adorable ❤️. Love it
Thanks so much, Holly! So glad you like it. 🙂
Me too,i like the lines,this is too cute,thank you,such a great idea.
Thank you so much, Marlene! The lines might be my favorite part, too. 😉
LOVE LOVE LOVE this idea!!! I’ve got to get some Country Chic Paint!!! I’d love to have a colorful chalkboard!!!!
Thank you, Yvonne! Isn’t it fun? And so easy just to paint it on. 🙂 So glad you like it! xo
Great idea Rachel – I’m obsessed with grey too at the moment, and this is a lovely simple project!
Thank you so much, Eliza! I’m glad I’m not the only one. 😉