This is where my youngest now sleeps:
He was sleeping, for a time, in this:
Now I must say that I actually find the brown crib a lovely shape and a very solid construction. But the teeth marks are horrendous (trust me, they’re way worse than you can see in this picture!). And its sleigh-bed curves are really a bit too big for its location in the room. But since I had gotten a great deal on it (from craigslist, of course) when we moved back from Paris, I kept telling myself that I should just live with it. What I really wanted, though, was something with an antique feel that would go better with the rest of the furniture in the room (since his room doubles as our guest room where we have soft, ruffled curtains and several family pieces… I promise to reveal the whole room soon). Something like this:
I mentioned this dream casually to my mother recently, and was thrilled when she called me a few days later asking if I wanted a FREE white spindle crib. Her church was getting rid of it. Um… yes! Unfortunately, it was a stark white almost enamel look, which made the off white trim in the room look gross… So I set out to transform. Here is the result (please forgive the funny angle – there’s a full bed that keeps me from backing up more!):
To get there, I lightly sanded the whole thing with a rotary sander. Even chalk paint would have had a hard time sticking to that slick surface. Plus, I needed something more difficult to distress than chalk paint because I didn’t want the white shiny undercoat to show through. Then I spray painted with a flat, off white spray paint from Lowe’s (that more or less matched my trim in the room).
I distressed the crib with the rotary sander, careful not to sand large surfaces (which would have merely stripped the spray paint and not the shiny white coat). I then used Rustoleum’s Kona stain (I wanted something really dark) just on the distressed parts. I simply applied it with my finger and wiped it off with an old t-shirt. I give the whole thing a quick and dirty coat of Miss Mustard Seed’s antiquing wax, and I called it done. You can see some places where I highlighted the distressing with stain here:
And the dirty feel of the wax here:
I then used some leftover drop cloth fabric to mimic the crib skirt of my inspiration nursery. The box pleats were easy, and I managed to use existing hems. A snap! Since my son will be one next week, there’s no point in the bumpers… I fear he would simply use them to climb out of the crib! Anyway, it’s definitely a step closer to the overall feel I am going for in this room, and it makes the room feel bigger. Best of all, it came in at a whopping $7 for two cans of spray paint! That’s my kind of project. 🙂 Come back soon to see the full room reveal.