Learn how to make a wine bottle plant waterer to keep your plants hydrated!
Last spring I decorated the porch with some incredibly beautiful Boston ferns, but being 8 months pregnant, I found it difficult to climb on the step stool to water them… and they very quickly succumbed to the Texas spring and summer heat. So this year, I was determined to find a better way: enter the wine bottle waterer.
This post contains affiliate links. Click here to read my full disclosure.
I still have to water my hanging plants (or at least refill the bottle), obviously, but this gives me a few extra days of grace in case I get busy and forget. And it keeps them more evenly hydrated in between waterings, too. We’ve already had many days around 90 in these parts, and my new Boston ferns are still looking absolutely beautiful. Add our outdoor curtains and a slight breeze, and our patio is at its best.
GET THE LOOK:
This is not my original idea (I’ve seen various versions floating around the internet for a few years), but I decided to play with all the suggestions and find what works best for my hanging plants. Plus, I wanted to create an easy-to-follow video to make it super simple for you! The great thing about these wine bottle waterers (other than upcycling an old bottle and looking pretty) is that they can be used on any plant. My hanging ones are the most susceptible to drying out (and the most inconvenient to water), but you could use them to water potted plants or even grounded plants if you were going on vacation and wanted them to be extra hydrated while you were gone.
How to turn a wine bottle into a watering system:
Supplies to make a wine bottle waterer:
- empty wine bottle (with cork!)
- baking soda
- pitcher large enough for wine bottle to sit inside
- nail or corkscrew
Video tutorial for a wine bottle waterer:
Subscribe to my YouTube channel here.
music by www.bensound.com
Tips for using the Wine Bottle Waterer:
First of all, the label removal trick has worked brilliantly on about 90% of the bottles I’ve ever tried. The other 10% must have a different kind of glue or paper or something… If you find you aren’t having any luck with removing the label like that, a good ol’ fashioned razor blade and some goo remover will work just as well. It’s just messier. Or you can skip the label removal step if you like the look!
Second, you must have at least two holes in your cork (one for water to come out, one for air to go in), or the vacuum created will keep the water in the bottle. If you are finding that your water is not actually draining into the plants, make bigger holes. If you have especially dense, well-watered soil to begin with, you can even leave the cork out entirely and let the water just drain naturally into the soil. It can be tricky to get it in the right place so that the water doesn’t drain immediately, though.
Bottom line: play with them. But if you have some wine bottles lying around, you’ve got nothing to lose, right? I hope they help you to extend the livelihood of your outdoor plants as they have me mine.
Don’t forget to pin it!
Now for an extra special treat, my friend Shauna at Satori Design for Living has organized an outdoor extravaganza with all sorts of fabulous summer ideas and projects!
Be sure to visit the other bloggers’ posts below.
Did you enjoy that?
Have my best tips on home decor, DIY, and life delivered directly to your inbox.