Chez Noel: a French Christmas Tour

Link-party-holiday-house-walk-tag-250x250

I have a serious ache…

Gorgeous Christmas home tour full of simple, beautiful, diy and French-inspired decoration ideas via maisondepax.com #decor #holiday

And I’m not talking about the kind you get from eating too many Christmas cookies (though that may be forthcoming, too).

At the risk of sounding entirely obnoxious… It’s been over two years since I’ve been to Paris.

We lived there for about two years; my first son was born there; I made friends from all over the world; I ate way too many raspberry tarts; I had a beautiful, international church family; I took long walks along the Seine with Mr. Pax; I wandered through Notre Dame; I strolled through glorious gardens… I relished life there.

So this French Christmas tour is more than a fun blog hop (though it is certainly that, too); it’s a merging of two things very very special to me: my favorite city in the world… and my favorite time of year.

You can see French influence throughout my home on my Christmas home tour here.

Gorgeous Christmas home tour full of simple, beautiful, diy decoration ideas via maisondepax.com #decor #holiday

And you can see more of my French Christmas touches in the dining room here.

But in the library this year, I wanted specifically to create a rustic chic Christmas look by channelling my memories of our Parisian apartment:

It was white and gray with punches of color and tall white bookcases…

We had chandeliers and an enormous gilded mirror (you can see how I made this one here)…

There were wood-framed velvet armchairs in the living room; they were a mustard color… but this red suits me better.

And I couldn’t resist adding this rustic tree stump.  We haven’t finished sanding and sealing it, but I’m sure we will eventually.

In the meantime, I hope to relish this most glorious time of year…  remembering that the good news of this season transcends countries and languages.  And so I leave you with this:

Car un enfant nous est né, un fils nous est donné,
For unto us a Child is born, unto us a Son is given,

Et la domination reposera sur son épaule;
And the government will be upon His shoulder

On l’appellera Admirable, Conseiller, Dieu puissant,
He will be called Wonderful, Counselor, mighty God,

Père éternel, Prince de la paix.
Eternal Father, Prince of peace.

May your and your family have a joyeux noel!

Be sure to come back tomorrow for my final installment of French Christmas, and don’t forget to visit the other blogs for more French-inspired holiday decor… Today, French Country Cottage is also sharing her incredible home.

7 homes filled with inspiration for French Christmas decor #holiday #decorating #Christmas

Tuesday:

Cedar Hill Farmhouse | So Much Better With Age

Wednesday:

Maison de Pax | French Country Cottage

Thursday:

Savvy Southern Style | Stone Gable | Craftberry Bush

Comments

1. Rachel, this is such a pretty post visually and in words. Oh, how you must miss Paris so much. Through this whole post you literally had me at red velvet chair! Oh, how I love it. So thrilled to be joining you on this tour.

Thank you so much, Kim! I do!!! So glad you enjoyed the post and so honored to have you joining me this week!

2. Your home is wonderful! I have yet to go to Paris but it is the place my daughter and I will go when she graduates high school. Now to choose the time of year… any suggestions?

Oh, dear… that’s tough. I love Paris in the springtime (it’s not a cliche – it’s wonderful!), but I love to travel in the winter when there aren’t any crowds. There’s nothing like having world treasures entirely to yourself. I would avoid June-Aug if you can (which is, of course, the easiest time to go) because of the heat and crowds. Truly, though, Paris is Paris any time of year and absolutely worth going! Thank you for your sweet comment, by the way!

3. Lisa Sraders says:

Hello~! Oh, I love your home and Parisian touches! I would love to know where you attended church in Paris…my girl may be going there, and those things are hard to come by… thanks and blessings!

Of course! We attended Trinity International Church (visit their website here). It was wonderful! I hope she has a glorious time if she goes. Merry Christmas!

4. So pretty!! Love your French touches- everything is so charming it sounds like you absolutely loved being in Paris!!

5. Rachel, I’m still soooo jealous you lived in Paris for two years. I’m so glad to be a part of this wonderful tour with you. Thank you for thinking of me, friend. And your house, as usual, is gorgeous. Pinning like mad and sharing on my FB page today 😉
    Big hugs,
    Jamie

6. So beautiful! Heavenly! :-)

7. it’s lovely and I can see why you miss Paris!

8. I’m sorry your aching for Paris Rachel, but seeing your home for the holidays makes it feel so Parisian that you should’ve be aching so much anymore! your home is so beautiful dear, hope you enjoy your Holiday season!

9. I too love Paris. I love your chair next to the tree and that blanket is gorg. Happy Holidays…… I am a new follower!

10. Loved the tour…everything looks so beautiful!!

11. Rachel- everything is so beautiful! Hang on to those memories till you can get back!

12. So lovely! You and my husband and your need to get to Paris! He is the same way, but since our first granddaughter was born in Germany last year and new one is due in Germany any day now, Germany has taken priority over Paris for the time being. Amazing how a grandchild can change your outlook on life. I am sharing a lot of links to bloggers’ Christmas House Tours and hope it is okay that I will share a photo and link back to yours, it is beautiful! I hope you get to Paris in the new year!

Of course, Chloe! Thank you for asking – I’m honored. And, naturally, grandchildren have definite priority. 😉 Congratulations on the growing family and thank you for your kind comment!

13. Joyeux Noël! Je ai apprécié votre photographie parisienne et culminant dans ce monde à travers vos yeux talentueux. Je suis au Texas et ainsi profiter de votre blog.

14. Lucy Beliveau says:

Hi Rachel! Oh my, what a magnificent home tour! Thank you so much for letting all of us enjoy your lovely French home! Your decorating is flawless and you are to admired for your hard work and perfectionism! You make me want to start all over! I found you through Yvonne’s lovely Stonegate and subscibed immediately after enjoying your blog! I’ll be back for your next posting and I can’t wait!

15. le sigh. Rachel, I love your Christmas home! I too am longing for the magic of Paris, and love putting touches of France in our holiday decorating. Your home is warm and welcoming, the perfect place to celebrate the birth of Christ with those you love. May you have a beautiful Christmas. On l’appellera Admirable, Conseiller, Dieu puissant. xoxo Lidy

16. Everything is just lovely! ~Christy

17. Cathy Chapman says:

Hi Rachel,
    What a beautiful and meaningful post, thank you, it was a joy to read and a visual feast. Our worlds align in our design & style choices. Remember me? I was the one who had to have the gray clock! You told me where you got it and I waited patiently and nabbed mine. I love it!
    I have always loved and decorated with the French aesthetic. But, when I actually went to France…oh, my! It was absolutely everything I had expected and hoped for and so much more! Rarely does anything in life not just meet, but exceed expectations, right? (Except maybe children and fudge!)
    You did not sound obnoxious at all, I haven’t been there since August/September of 2013 and wanted to return immediately…I get it! I did not live there, but was there for a little over a month but, would in a minute! Hope you get back soon, Merry Christmas and Happy 2015
    Cathy :-)

You are so kind, Cathy! And I’m SO glad you found the gray clock! You must have good taste. 😉 So glad to hear Paris was special for you, too… I hope you are able to return soon! I also hope your Christmas was wonderful and that you have a very happy New Year!