Simplicity: a table makeover

I can’t tell you how much I appreciate all your kind words and responses concerning our whitewashed attic and stairwell bookcase…  It’s been so much work to put this space together, but we are loving it!  As you may remember, we finished out our third floor as a guest room so that baby #3 could have her own room.  With her arrival mere weeks away, I’m looking for a little simplicity in my life… and my new attic space and this little table are helping me fill that need.

A gorgeous bedside table done in crisp white with dark distressed edges... See beautiful styling and a simple tutorial at maisondepax.com!

For months, I’ve been inspired by all-white spaces, especially for an attic room like this.  I even polled you all concerning whether I should paint the bed (which, for now, is staying as it is).  But this nightstand was itching for a makeover…  The piece began a very simple pine nightstand – nothing glamorous, though beautiful in its own, understated way. I painted the wood (which was water stained and sad) almost seven years ago with a soft green and significant distressing and glazing, all finished with a polyurethane.  It served me well for some time, but I was definitely ready for a change.

green bedside

I decided on Simplicity by Country Chic Paint.  I was a little disappointed to discover that it took three coats to fully cover the green and brown (though I shouldn’t have been surprised given the color difference – I have just been so spoiled by Country Chic’s other colors that cover so well!), but it was worth every bit.

Once painted, the edges distressed beautifully and easily with 60 grit sandpaper.  I had intended to use some antique wax, too, but once I saw the pure white against the dark brown, chipped edges, I knew I was done.

I followed with a very light sanding by hand (using 320 grit paper) to smooth the rough edges I had created and remove any stray brush strokes.

A coat of clear wax was all it needed to bring out the richness of the distressing and the simplicity of the white.

And the smooth white surface contrasts so well with the texture of the whitewashed planks.

The three coats may have felt a little laborious (though, let’s be honest, since each coat only took 15-20 minutes, I can’t complain too much!), but the final product makes it all worth it.  Don’t you agree?

Disclaimer: As a part of the Country Chic Paint blogger squad, I do receive compensation in the form of goods and products from Country Chic Paint, but, as always, all opinions are 100% my own!

Comments

1. Super pretty Rachel! I love your distressing and styling!!

2. Just gorgeous against those whitewashed planks…!! What a perfect vignette. There’s nothing so restful as white on white. P.S. So dying to see some nursery pics – are you doing anything with it? Or will it be left as-is for bub’s arrival? Just curious. :)

Thank you SO much for your sweet comment, Karen! Actually, I’m 37 weeks pregnant today and just starting the nursery… ha! Honestly, the former guest room (before the attic) is becoming the nursery, so now I just have to fill the empty room. Here’s hoping she stays in there until her due date!! 😉 I promise pics eventually.

3. Great job and looks very good in that room. I thought the green was pretty … (well, I am kinda a green gal anyway), but the white is best for your room.

Thanks, Audrey! Honestly, I liked the green, too, but I’m loving the white in that room. Sometimes it just feels good to make a change, doesn’t it? :)

4. Ooh what a beautiful piece, Rachel! The white is perfect in your space! Thanks so much for sharing!

~Abby =)

5. Rachel this is so pretty in white and it looks like such a beautiful and cozy space. That lamp is fabulous too! Pinned :) I hope you will stop by and share this over at The Makers link party going on at my blog, upcycledtreasures.com

~Katie

Thank you so much, Katie!! The lamp was a Homegoods find a couple of years ago… one of my favorites. :)

6. Love this little table and it is stunning white. What a pretty room. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me.

7. Hi Rachel, I’m visiting from the Trash 2 Treasure Tuesday Party. I loved the table in green but I’m lov’n the clean soft white on white look too. You always style your pieces so nicely too.

Thank you so much, Marie! I like the green, too, but the white really does make that space, doesn’t it? :) Thanks for your kind comments!!

8. I’m pretty much dripping green with envy over everything that I can of that room. Cute table and thanks so much for joining Trash 2 Treasure Tuesday. Pinning to the Highlights board!

Thanks so much, Kammy!! It’s turning into a pretty magical space, isn’t it? So glad you like it. :)

9. Rachel,
    This is one darn cute little table.

Blessings,
    Linda

Thank you SO much, Linda! I so appreciate your sweet comment. Blessings to you, too!

10. So adorable! I love the distressing. The styling is super cute and simple too!

11. Your side table is so cute! I love how you styled it, too! You have such a great sense of style! LOVE!

Thank you so much, Allison! That means a lot coming from you – you’ve got amazing style yourself, friend. 😉

12. Love the fresh new look the white paint gives. It is just perfect!
    Hugs,
    Patti

13. JaneEllen says:

Love, love your little magazine stand. (that’s what the table used to be called.) I am so mad at myself as there was one at our local thrift store and must have been stupid that day as I passed it by, duh. Love how it looked green but white is very nice for any room. As you said, sometimes no matter what a change is good. That’s nice thing about paint, when we get tired of whatever something is we can change it.
    How excited you must be, only have about 2 weeks now. I’ll look forward to seeing photos of new baby also, I love those little rascals, I had 4.
    Going to subscribe. Happy days waiting for new baby, hope you get nursery done.

Thank you so much, JaneEllen! I’m so glad you found me, and I appreciate your sweet comment!! Thanks for the well wishes, too; I think we’re almost there on the nursery (hooray!). :)

14. I am in love with this makeover…and your styling is exquisite! Magazine-worthy :)

15. Featuring this tonight on Trash 2 Treasure Tuesday! :)

16. marlene royse says:

Hi Rachel,
    I just discovered you through Savvy Southern Style: Sunday Open House. I’ve spent some time exploring and discovered your simple white table. What really caught my eye, however, was the set of My Book House books on the shelf. I would recognize them anywhere! I still have the set my parents bought for me when I was a small child, and that was six decades ago. I read and re-read them so many times that many are almost falling apart. I have a similar white table and my set of books will be relocated. A charming look! And my mother’s name was Rachel!
    Thanks so much for sharing,
    Marlene

Oh Marlene,
      You are so kind! I’m so glad you found me. :) The Book House series belonged to my grandmother. She read it to my mother when she was child, and now my mother and I read it to my children. It has such sweet memories for us, too! Thank you for coming by and for your sweet comment.
      Rachel