My Whitewashed Attic

Are you as obsessed with my whitewashed attic as I am?

Fabulous step-by-step tutorial at maisondepax.com

Probably not… because that might be weird.  Hmmm…  But I wouldn’t blame you. 😉  I’ve had more fun than I can say creating this space and filling it – with our reclaimed wood bookcase:

stairwell bookcase with light sign

My simple side table:

A gorgeous bedside table done in crisp white with dark distressed edges... See beautiful styling and a simple tutorial at maisondepax.com!

Some beautiful, romantic accents:

This stunning carrier made from reclaimed wood holds 6 antique milk bottles and makes the perfect rustic yet elegant piece of decor!

And, most recently, this gorgeous DIY American flag:

DIY planked American flag at maisondepax.com #tutorial #patriotic #july4 #decor #whitewashed

Today, I couldn’t be more honored… My attic is being featured at Remodelaholic.  Drop in and see it all here.  :)

Comments

1. Beautiful! And I spy a pine cannonball bed, a love of mine. The striped pillows are so pretty.

Thank you so much, Elizabeth! The bed belonged to my husband’s grandparents. And I love it, too. :)

2. Congratulations!! So well deserved!

3. You did a marvelous job on this Rachel, wish I had your tenacity for something like this. It truly made the room perfect!

4. Melanie C. says:

Rachel,
    Did you install the wood or just apply the finish? I have a vaulted popcorn ceiling that I would love to cover with wood to look like yours. Any step by steps on how to do this? Or other blogs that I could refer to? Thanks! This looks amazing!

Congratulations on your wonderful new blessing!

Great question, Melanie. We had a framing crew insulate, frame, sheetrock, and install the planks. It was way more than I wanted to take on at 7 months pregnant! 😉 Since it was an unfinished attic, our joists were all exposed. I would imagine you would want to pull down the sheetrock before installing, but I don’t have experience there. Sorry!

5. This is SUCH a beautiful space! I found this post and your blog while searching for white washing tutorials for a couple of vintage chairs I have, and I’m so glad I found you! Love your style. :)

Thank you so much, Christina! I’m so glad you like it, and I’m so glad to have you here!! I hope the chairs turn out like you want. :)

6. Tracie L. says:

I love, love, love what you have done to your attic. We too have a semi unfinished attic in our 114 year old home (circa 1900). The floor is all there but the ceiling/roof is simply joists and then roof material (you can even see the nails coming through that attach the shingles!!!!
    My question is what is the height at the center of your attic (the peak of the roof) and the height of the short walls on the sides – and overall dimensions of the attic? I’m just trying to get an idea if, size wise, this would work in our space.
    Again, amazing job!

P.S. – I’ve looked at a million DIY blogs and I have NEVER commented!!!! That’s how great I think this is 😉

Tracie, you made my week! I’m so sorry for the slow reply (I’ve been out of town), but I’m so glad you like the attic. :) Your attic sounds very much like ours before we finished it – the nails were all sticking through… I don’t have the measurements before we finished it (so I’m measuring after the planking was attached which is, of course, a bit lower than the joists), but here we go. The height at the center is 86″. The short walls closer to the stairs are 44″. Closer to the bed, we went further out, so the height is only 28″ there. The room is 18.5′ long (stairs to planked wall) by 11′ wide (at the stairs). Where we went lower (at the bed-end of the room), it’s closer to 15′ wide. I hope that helps!

7. What a beautiful space you’ve created!! I’m very interested in learning more about the flag you’ve created – can you please share step-by-step instructions?

8. Hi Rachel!

I’m discovering this a little late but it looks amazing!
    I love the bell pendant lights! Where are they from?
    Thanks!!!

You are so kind, Erika, thank you! The lights are from Ikea. They’re called Ranarp. Hope this helps!