This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of At Home. All opinions are 100% mine.
I cannot believe spring is in full bloom and we are nearing the end of May! Memorial Day is just around the corner, and it’s time for barbecue, pool parties, and outdoor dinners. I, for one, am thrilled.
But it does take work to get a patio summer ready. So before I share a fuller look at our poolside patio this year, here are my five tips for getting your patio ready – whether it’s a 3’x3′ garden or a giant deck, the principles are the same.
1. Clean the surface. With a large concrete patio, we opted for a good old pressure wash. If you have a different surface, though, it might take a push broom or a mop… Point is, though, wash off the dirt from winter and the pollen from spring and start fresh.
2. Wash the furniture. Ewwww… A little dust, a little mildew, and a lot of dirt. We pressure washed these, too, but a soapy sponge could have done the trick, as well.
3. Trim and weed the beds. Take note: different plants need different amounts of pruning at different times of year. Don’t go killing your plants just because I said to clean up your flower beds! 😉 But do get those beds looking beautiful – it might mean a trim or adding some seasonal color or simply pulling the weeds. You want them nice and neat before you sit beside them for hours.
4. Replace worn out seasonal pieces. Let’s face it, seasonal stuff wears out or – if you have three
crazy hoodlums lovely young children like me – it breaks. Cushions are one of the things I expect to replace every few years no matter what. I don’t want to be forced to bring them inside every time it rains, and I like the option of changing the look, too, so affordable cushions are super important. The black and white cushions were left by the previous owners, and it was time for them to go… But I found these fabulous blue ones at At Home for a great price.
5. Accessorize. This is the fun part! It doesn’t take much, but a few accents can make all the difference. I firmly believe that your outdoor space should be like a bonus room in your home, and an accent or two brings it from merely functional to cozy and fun.
For this mini makeover, I went to At Home and found a few throw pillows from the Outdoor Decor Collections… Their spring line has so many colors and patterns to choose from.
A little solar lantern perfect for Outdoor Entertaining …
And this gorgeous glazed pot from the At Home Patio collection to pull together the cushion colors.
Now our poolside patio is clean, fresh, and ready to enjoy – all spring and summer long.
In fact, that spot right there is calling my name… I’ll be relaxing there with a cold drink if you need me.
Did you enjoy that?
Have my best tips on home decor, DIY, and life delivered directly to your inbox.