I realize that this is a day late and a dollar short for anyone looking for Valentine’s Day presents, but since this was MY present to MY Valentine (who also happens to be my most faithful reader!), I had to wait until the big day had passed before I shared it with you…
Honestly, I think this is simply a fun addition to any home at any time, whether you make it as a gift or for yourself. How can you go wrong with a sentiment like that?
I found my inspiration from Decor Steals, but I had no way to get their adorable blanket in time for Valentines, and I liked the idea of slightly cooler colors for our living room. So, as usual, I managed to make my own version.
I start with this throw blanket from Ikea. With a mixture of various paints I had at home, some painter’s tape, and (the secret ingredient for those who do not have a Silhouette or some other fancy vinyl cutter) some shelf liner, I managed in an afternoon!
- Mix up some blue paint (I wanted a light, gray blue, so I added some blue acrylic to ASCP Paris Gray)
- Add a touch of water and a little textile medium to your paint
- Tape off two stripes (or more… I wanted it to stay simple) and paint
- Lay out your shelf liner and pencil in your words (I’m obsessive compulsive, so I used a ruler and lots of gridlines)
- Use an exact-o knife and scissors to cut our your letters
- Mix up your dark paint (I used ASCP Graphite) – don’t forget to add a touch of water and a little textile medium
- Lay your vinyl on the blanket as a stencil and paint
- As always, remove stencils promptly for the cleanest lines
- Let dry
I admit that the paint isn’t perfectly soft, but it’s certainly not stiff or scratchy. And it should be washable. Since the nubby, grain-sack texture of the throw left the paint “imperfect,” if you will, it shouldn’t matter if it fades a bit.
And I love it. More importantly, Mr. Pax likes it, too. Who wouldn’t?
What did you give your valentine?
Did you enjoy that?
Have my best tips on home decor, DIY, and life delivered directly to your inbox.