How to Build a Trumeau Mirror

This is one of those projects I’ve had in my mind’s eye for a couple of years… even since I found an old mirror in our attic.

DIY Trumeau Mirror tutorial: step by step instructions on how to build your own | maisondepax.com

The silvering was a little messed up, but I think that just adds character, so I thought an antique looking frame would be best.  And as you know, I have a thing for French design. 😉

This was really fun to make, and fortunately, it’s easy to customize to your own liking.

Now before I give you the step-by-step instructions, I must first apologize for the funny lighting in these photos.  I confess that I was having a VERY hard time not showing you all myself or my dining room (in which the contents of our entire kitchen are stacked to the ceiling because of our current kitchen renovation) in the mirror.  But I digress…

Materials needed to build a diy trumeau mirror:

This post contains affiliate links for your convenience.  Click here to read my full disclosure policy.

How to build a trumeau mirror:

1. (not pictured) Lay your mirror on the floor and decide how much space you’d like to border it and how large you want your decorative section at the top.

2. (not pictured) Cut plywood or mdf to the full desired size.

3. Layout your mirror and trim pieces, marking with pencil where they should go.

4. Make sure you have your angles correct when marking your trim and cut accordingly using a chop saw or hand saw.

5. Lay all the pieces out one final time to ensure they fit properly.

6. Use construction adhesive to attach your mirror.

7. Use a thin bead of wood glue and finishing nails to attach your trim (be sure you don’t nail your mirror!!)

8. Caulk all seems.

You can really paint it any way you like.  I’ll share a full tutorial on my particular process later, but I think that’s enough for now.

What do you think?  Could you build one?

pin it image

Did you enjoy that?  Subscribe to Maison de Pax so you’ll never miss a post!
Follow along on PinterestGoogle+Instagram, and Facebook for more fabulous ideas!

MORE CREATIVE MAKEOVERS:

brushed steel look sign cool

How to Give Metal an Industrial, Brushed Steel Look

Faux Planked Desk (23 of 49) sign

How to Faux Plank a Table Top

Create your own aged patina on terra cotta pots with this simple tutorial!

Paint Washed Terra Cotta Pots

Comments

1. Just gorgeous, Rachel. I love those mirrors and maybe some day I (and hubby) will build one.

2. Gorgeous!!! Really great job! Looking forward to the painting process. Have been wanting to do something like this for a mirror above bathroom sink but on a smaller scale, I may now have to go for it.
    Many Blessings to you, Candy

Thank you, Candy! I’m so glad you like it. And a smaller one in the bathroom would be gorgeous! Hopefully I can get that painting tutorial together soon. 😉

3. gorgeous project Rachel! I love trumeau mirrors, they’re so elegant. I’ve been wanting to make one for a while, so glad I saw this post!

4. Rachel this is beautiful, you did a great job on it. I may try this, but I’ll need to hunt down a large mirror first.

Thank you so much, Diana! You could always try a cheap framed mirror (from Target or Walmart); you might be able to glue the entire thing to your backer. That would save you having to frame the mirror with trim. :)

5. Marlene Stephenson says:

It is really just lovely,can’t believe you made it, you are a wonder.

6. I LOVE THIS!!!! I’ve been thinking about doing this for awhile as well:) This is so awesome, it’s beautiful:) You did a fab job!

7. Perfect timing :). I am needing a large mirror for my living room. That is lovely!

8. Breathtaking, Rachel! I adore this project. It would look great in my living room. I can see Bobby and me doing this one together. You make it look so fabulously antique! Brilliantly done!

You are so kind, Yvonne! It was a fun project to do; I hope you and Bobby get the chance to try it sometime! Thank you so very much. xx

9. This mirror is so cute. I love how you put everything together. Your housing ideas are truly inspirational.

10. Really lovely!

11. This was a great DIY project. The mirror would be great for almost any room in the house. Thanks for the steps.

Thank you so much, Tracy! I still haven’t decided where I’m going to put mine permanently. 😉

12. Linda Weeks says:

What a grand project! This was certainly worth the time to create! You have a great eye!!

13. Hi Rachel,
    I have a mirror that I was ready to give away, but now I know what I’ll do with it!
    Thanks for this great DIY project!

14. Wow – the mirror is beautiful. Very impressive project. I would love for you to link this up to my Winter Blues Wednesday link party going on right now. Hope to see you there. http://diybydesign.blogspot.com

15. Rachel!!! Just stop! I’ve always wanted to make my own too. You beat me too it 😉 I’ll have to try your plans. I’m sharing on my FB page today and pinned like mad.
    Hugs, Jamie

You’re such a doll, Jamie. Thank you! I should have known this was on your to do list. 😉 xx

16. Love this and how you aged it…perfect! 😉

17. Sandra Beadle says:

Love this mirror. Great job. Please, let me know what colors of paints you used on this mirror. Going to do one for my granddaughter.

18. Beautiful mirror love it! Rachel thank you for posting this. I’been wanting to make a trumeau mirror for a while,but couldn’t find any good instructions on how to build one until now.

19. Hi Rachel,

Love this mirror! Did you end up doing a tutorial on how you painted it?

20. This is beautiful and I’m excited to make it for my 5 year old girls’ room. Can you please tell me the size of the actual mirror and plywood you used for yours? Your dimensions seem perfect.

I’m so sorry for the slow reply, Cassie. I kept forgetting to go measure it! The mirror is 16″x60″, and the plywood is 24″x84″. I hope this helps!