I realize that this is a day late and a dollar short for anyone looking for Valentine’s Day presents, but since this was MY present to MY Valentine (who also happens to be my most faithful reader!), I had to wait until the big day had passed before I shared it with you…
Honestly, I think this is simply a fun addition to any home at any time, whether you make it as a gift or for yourself. How can you go wrong with a sentiment like that?
I found my inspiration from Decor Steals, but I had no way to get their adorable blanket in time for Valentines, and I liked the idea of slightly cooler colors for our living room. So, as usual, I managed to make my own version.
I start with this throw blanket from Ikea. With a mixture of various paints I had at home, some painter’s tape, and (the secret ingredient for those who do not have a Silhouette or some other fancy vinyl cutter) some shelf liner, I managed in an afternoon!
- Mix up some blue paint (I wanted a light, gray blue, so I added some blue acrylic to ASCP Paris Gray)
- Add a touch of water and a little textile medium to your paint
- Tape off two stripes (or more… I wanted it to stay simple) and paint
- Lay out your shelf liner and pencil in your words (I’m obsessive compulsive, so I used a ruler and lots of gridlines)
- Use an exact-o knife and scissors to cut our your letters
- Mix up your dark paint (I used ASCP Graphite) – don’t forget to add a touch of water and a little textile medium
- Lay your vinyl on the blanket as a stencil and paint
- As always, remove stencils promptly for the cleanest lines
- Let dry
I admit that the paint isn’t perfectly soft, but it’s certainly not stiff or scratchy. And it should be washable. Since the nubby, grain-sack texture of the throw left the paint “imperfect,” if you will, it shouldn’t matter if it fades a bit.
And I love it. More importantly, Mr. Pax likes it, too. Who wouldn’t?
What did you give your valentine?